10 signatures reached
To: Pune Municipal Corporation
Let's make Pune city cycling friendly
Policy and Governance
1. Adopt a comprehensive NMT/Cycling policy or strategy for the city
2. Form an NMT cell to coordinate the planning, design and implementation of NMT infrastructure in the city
3. Launch campaigns to promote cycling in the city (Eg. Car-free sundays, Cycle to work, Free cycle clinics etc)
4. Create a statutory walking and cycling master-plan for the city
Planning, Design and Implementation
1. Create good quality, safe cycling infrastructure as per the masterplan
2. Implement projects to enable easy and affordable access to bicycles for citizens (Eg: Community 3. cycle-sharing systems, cycle rental schemes, etc)
4. Provide safe and free bicycle parking at transit stations and major public destinations to enable better last-mile connectivity.
1. Invest at least 50% of the city’s transportation budget towards building high quality walking and cycling infrastructure in the city
Why is this important?
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in more and more people trying to avoid public transportation for fear of contracting the virus and liike in other parts of the world, India experienced a boom in bicycle sales during the coronavirus pandemic.
Although most Indian cities are not bicycle-friendly, there has been a sharp increase in recreational cycling during the pandemic as people try to beat cabin fever during lockdowns, get exercise, or avoid commutes on stuffed public transport.
People now feel the need for private transport more than ever. And a major section can still notafford cars, so cycling presents an opportunity like no other.
India's Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry said the pandemic has presented an opportunity to make cities more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists.
In a June advisory, it recommended pedestrianization of at least three markets in every city and more bicycle lanes. Given, there is a push for cycling at a national level. Let us demand our municipal corporation to take some steps in the right direction.
Join the movement to make your city cycling friendly.